Sunday, January 27, 2013

MLB Hall of Fame Voting

Here's a link to a really cool interactive graphic of MLB hall of fame voting.  As with most datasets, there are many different variables that are useful to display visually.  Including interactive graphics is a nice way to show multiple variables (or to select only a subset of variables) without making a million different 2-d plots.  Below the graphics, the authors describe all of the features of this plot - I suggest that you read through it and try some of these things out.


The New York Times has begun to show similar visualizations for economic and political issues.  As we move away from print articles and towards online reading, I think we will see a rise in popularity of these types of interactive graphics.  

I'd love to learn how to make these type of graphics, but most of the heavy-lifting is done in Java (which I have no experience with), and I don't have enough free time :(

No comments:

Post a Comment